An Unusual Review, Mann Chandre....


A R Rahman doesn't need any introduction. He is one of those few musicians who like to break their own records and are ready to create something new. Though I don't listen to his music much but I respect him as being among the most versatile music directors. One more reason for not listening his music much is that I listen most of the time, Punjabi music only and as Rahman doesn't do much of it, so you do not find me playing him often.
As I just said, I listen in most of my time, punjabi music only so its rather impossible that if there is a  Punjabi song,I would miss it. If, by any reasons, I would miss it , I have got many resources who would tell me that there is a new song in the town which is creating waves. The same happened this time when Sidhu called me to tell that there is a new album of Rahman, Connections which is out now and I must check its 4th song. I was like, why so, its a Hindi album. But to my amazement, Sidhu told me that this song is sung by Sukhwinder Singh and its a Punjabi song. I immediately checked the album and started playing it. That was yesterday at about 10am and its been playing over my box since then without being stopped for a minute even. I haven't listened to any other song of the album and chances are very dim that I would do it either. I am just hooked to this song, and the reason is part lyrics and part music. The song doesn't have very rich lyrics though, just a few lines are there which are repeated all over in the entire song, still they are good enough to keep one sitting and listening to it non-stop. Music of the song is the biggest highlight in my opinion as through it only, the complete feel of the song, the sadness underneath it, has come out in full colors.  If music wouldn't be there or it would be some other kind of music, this song would never had got that midas touch which its having now and it would had ended up in the bin, at least by me. Its far below on the meter of mine to be called a truly rich song in lyrics and I don't call a song a song without good lyrics. But its music has given it a life. And may be, that's the charisma of Rahman is! Whatever it may be, I did find the song worth sharing so I am posting it here. There is no official video( yet ) of it so don't pay attention to the video and just listen to the song. Its in Punjabi and I shall translate the lyrics in a while. The song's name is Mann Chandre, which means Crazy Heart. This song is depicting the emotions of a lover who is telling that he is not able to find any peace nor satisfaction after falling in love. If you have ever been in love and got hurt from it, you would like(atleast the music) this song. I have posted the link to the album in audio format some where above, you can listen the song from there too. Here is the song over YouTube in video format,


And here are the lyrics in Punjabi,
Mann chandre nu raas na aave, Na aave dharwaas!
Jigar da sauda kyon kar baitha, mukkadi jandi aas!
Je lutt janda te lutt janda dil, hauke kha k chhup janda!
Beparwah da ki kehna, Na aave dharwaas!
Jigar da sauda kyon kar baitha, mukkadi jandi aas!
Dard sataunda bedardan nu, bedardan da ki janda!
Dard sataunda bedardan nu, bedardan da ki janda!
Bedardan da ki janda!
Mann chandre (repeat)....
Mann chandre(repeat)....
Jigar da sauda kyon kar baitha, mukkadi jandi aas!
Je lutt janda te lutt janda dil, hauke kha k chhup janda!
Beparwah di ki kehna, Na aave dharwaas!
And here is the meaning of it in Punjabi,
Crazy heart neither gets satisfaction nor can afford!
Why it did the deal of heart, now even the hopes are dying!
Once heart is gone, its gone! It hides after crying!
What to say about heartless people, there is no relief!

Pain hurts and heartless have no regret about it!
Crazy heart neither gets satisfaction nor can afford!
Why it did the deal of heart, now even the hopes are dying!
Once heart is gone, its gone! It hides after crying!
What to say about heartless people, there is no relief!
Here are few lines , depicting the pain of someone who has been hurt by his love, someone who got tears as a punishment of loving someone truly and madly. Have a read,
Ki haal sunavan tainu dil da,
Dil te jakhm bathere ne!
Akhiyan vichon mukk gaian needran,
Hun hanjuan de nal savere ne!
Rooh de saathi de gaye dhokhe,
Saade hijran nal ho gaye fere ne!
Dil ikko gal puchhda ro ro,
Rabba bas dass de ki gunaah mere ne!
Ki dassan dard kahani baare,
Hanju ajj v vehnde rehnde ne!
Asin yaad rakheya te ohna bhula ditta,
Kehnde yaaran da ki e,
Yaar te yaara aande jaande rehnde ne!
And here is the meaning of these lines in Punjabi,
What should I tell you about pains of this heart,
There are countless wounds over it!
Sleep has fled from these eyes,
Now mornings are welcomed by tears inside them!
My loved ones only deceieved me,
Now I am engaged to just tears!
This heart cries and asks just one thing ,
Just tell me what was my fault God?
How should narrate my story of sadness,
Tears drop every now and then!
I still remember those who forgot me in a minute,
And said,
What about lovers, they would keep coming and going!
Though the song doesn't have much rich lyrics, still, there is one thing which is true like death, some people surely enough , don't understand the meaning of relations, people involved in them. It needs a big heart to take pains of others and it needs much more than words to take it from those whom we call as our loved ones. But some don't understand and simply don't bother. Love is not some thing which can be done as per the conveneince of ours. Some value their dreams, career, themselves much more than anything and anyone else, even more than their loved ones. Its good to choose career, dreams. But not sure, how far its good to choose them on the expense of your loved ones. Can it be justified to buy your happiness by giving tears
to those only who love you more than their life, more than themselves? People tend to act as like practical individuals and there is nothing wrong in being one too. One gets a single life to achieve her dreams/wishes and there is nothing wrong to go after them. But, are dreams more important than someone's love, is career more meaningful than a human who loves you? The answer of this is something which would always remain a mystry, atleast for me! if you know the answer of this, do let me know too besides telling about the views about the song!























































Comments

Unknown said…
That was a great write-up Aman.. the song is one that I cant stop listening too!!
Thanks for the translation of the lyrics :)
this is one of the songs where the music speaks for the lyrics..

The female voice sounds to me like Shweta Pandit (or Shraddha??)(or maybe Sneha Pant)
Aman.... said…
Sushant,
Thanks for two things, one for the comment and kind words. 2nd, just because of the comment of yours, I saw that I forgot to post the video as I wrote over the post. Its done now.

I am not sure about the female voice. Its a pity that her name is no where. I don't have the album in my hand to check it also. But, one thing is sure, her voice is a divine one. Infact, her voice only makes the pain underneath the song come out truly.

Cheers
Aman....
Unknown said…
btw.. this song fits the name of the album truly.. Punjabi vocals, western instrumentals and the Carnatic percussion in most of the song.. Music Connects..
(the song's tune reminds me of "maahi ve" from Kaante.. similar pain.. but a different expression..)
Aman.... said…
Sushant,
Yes , indeed that's a good thing. Infact, music always connects.

IMO,Maahi Ve was a much better composition because of the lyrics. As I said in the post too, a song is not a song as long as it doesn't have rich lyrics.
Cheers
Aman....
sainesh said…
thanks aman.........i badly need the lyrics of this beautiful punajabi song........Rehmaan.....rocks...........n sukhwinder's voice is mind blowing
sainesh said…
thanks aman.........i badly need the lyrics of this beautiful punajabi song........Rehmaan.....rocks...........n sukhwinder's voice is mind blowing
Iconic Jewels said…
hello Aman
gud reflection of emotions..
nice understanding of the song ,thanks 4 both translations,i generally dont listen punjabi songs but this was the one ,i searched for lyrics , in ur blog with lyrics i got such a beutiful description.
any ways A.R.Rahman rocks n for people like us you too.
i wasnt able to understand the meaning at first but it touched the heart at once n y not as it is for the heart."Mann Chandre"
Aman.... said…
Sajneesh,
Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that I was of some help.

Cheers
Aman....
Aman.... said…
Anita,
Thanks for the kind words. As I wrote in the post too, this song does reflect emotions of those who have loved and unfortunately, got hurt from it only. And when you have "been there, done that", at times, you do understand what actually goes into that person's mind who is undergoing this phase of pain. Emotions are the only thing which make us different, make us what we are supposed to be, humans!

i wasnt able to understand the meaning at first but it touched the heart at once n y not as it is for the heart."Mann Chandre"
I am glad that I could help. Yes, if one understand emotions, values love and relations, he/she would surely appreciate the song.
Do keep coming over here for the future posts. Your visit and comments are always welcome.

Cheers
Aman...
Arun said…
Good writup, Aman! And thanks a lot for tje lyrics. It's a really beautiful song - been playing it on repeat since yesterday. As you say, there's this strong melancholic element to the song and that's what makes me listen ot it over and over again.

Sushant: The female singer is Shraddha Pandit.
Aman.... said…
Arun,
Glad to hear that my post was of some use. Yes , the song has come up nice. Its the 3rd day of it over here and it going good!

Thanks for the female singer's name.

Cheers
Aman....
gr8 song still crying u know i heard dis sog 2 dayz back and now i m on d verge of my break Up jb sb thekk hotaa hai tbhii kYun sb kharab ho jata haii.. app jitnaa bhii pyar krloo kbhii pura nahi hotaa .
tc
Aman.... said…
Varun,
I am not sure what to say. Yes, I do understand the pain that you are going through. Its just unfortunate that some people are so heartless that they don't really bother even giving tears!

jb sb thekk hotaa hai tbhii kYun sb kharab ho jata haii.. app jitnaa bhii pyar krloo kbhii pura nahi hotaa

No,its not like that. Its not that love which you have given is "insufficient" my friend, its the receiving end which was "incompetent" to handle it.Some people don't understand the importance of being lucky that they are loved by someone,that's what the issue is.
I shall just pray that either you don't get to see this hell of broken heart or god gives you enough strength to overcome it!

Cheers
Aman....
Vivek said…
now what i can say AR Rahmann this song its heart touching awesome. that i cant stop listning it. Wow thats wow and the great voice of sukhwinder
Aman.... said…
Vivek,
Yes the music has come up nice. About vocals, female voice has come up much better IMO.

Cheers
Aman....
Unknown said…
hi aman
good job regarding the lyrics and apart from dat u wrote wat i always think. its jst too hard to balance both practical and emotional aspect of life. iwud jst write that "thngs r to be used nd ppl to be loved bt all the confusion in dis world is bcoz ppl r used and thngs r loved"
i really appreciate ur effort and hats off to ur thoughts
Aman.... said…
Amita,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think that its much hard to balance emotional and practical aspects. All one needs is an urge to do so.Unfortunately, we don't have that urge but we do have justifications for our every act, mistake.
thngs r to be used nd ppl to be loved bt all the confusion in dis world is bcoz ppl r used and thngs r loved
You have hit the nail right on the head!Very well said!

Cheers
Aman....
Anonymous said…
Thanks a lot for these lyrics aman... dats reallly good work.. thanks a ton!!! just gng mad wid d calmness of the song when he is actuially describing hw disturbed he is.. I read ur tanslation.. I dnt understand punjabi, bt this is good. d vocals and d chorus just makes it even more interesting..................
Aman.... said…
Girl2Woman,

Thanks alot for stopping by here and for the kind words. Yes, the song really depicts both the calmness as well as pain very nicely. A.R. Rahman is at his best in it and so are the singers!

I have glanced at your blog, needless to say, I really liked it and I am going to finish reading it all asap.

Thanks once again for the kind words, do keep coming back!

Cheers
Aman....
trixy said…
great song, great music, awesome singers...... a unique piece of work by the master himself A.R Rehman..... Lovely lyrics....thanks aman......
SmartLonly said…
First of all Thanks a Lot Aman.. B..E...A...Utiful Writing... in the bigening I couldnt understand the meaning of the whole song.. but the feel... it bought the soul..

Touching Soul with the Music and a Meltdown Lyrics with the Sounds of Instruments... which is an Extra Ordinary Tallent... WoW..

Dr. OscAR Rahman, Such a Blessed Music Directors... GOD May give him all the Health and Ability to continue his Contributions for the Music World...

Prayer...

m3h
Dubai
Aman.... said…
Mansi,Musaed

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Cheers
Aman....
Mohsin Kamal said…
Great singers,lyrics, AR Rehman and Sukwinder Singh are gifted to india from God, they can express anything with words they bring the pain out and the girl's voice is amazing and thanks for the english lyrics Aman Sharma.
Aman.... said…
@Mohsin,

Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it.

Aman....
Unknown said…
By the way you 'feel' when one has little or nothing to say... Thanks for the tranlation. Now nights will get older on this song.
Aman.... said…
@Pinaki,

Thanks for the kind words!

Cheers
Aman....
VP_NJ_USA said…
Excellent composition by A R Rehman. Just can't stop listening. Thanks for putting the lyrics and the meaning of the song. I was desperately searching for it. Good job!!
Unknown said…
the female singer is Shradha Pandit... :)
Anonymous said…
hi Aman,
first n foremost,hearty kudos to u for the translation.yes,without knowing the meaning itself,the song does tug at some strings..and quite strongly too..n having gone thru the pain of betrayal,ur translation helped a lot in understanding the song better.. yes,Aman,i completely agree with u..practical life for some is so important they actually overlook the small joys that can come out of simple things..anywys,thanks once again..
regards
nandini..
Aman.... said…
Nandini,
first n foremost,hearty kudos to u for the translation.yes,without knowing the meaning itself,the song does tug at some strings..and quite strongly too
Thanks for stopping by here and for the kind words! Glad to hear that my effort did make you enjoy the song in a more better manner!

having gone thru the pain of betrayal,ur translation helped a lot in understanding the song better..

Yes Nandini, I know, "been there, faced that" . Those, who have been unfortunate enough to get hurt from those whom they loved the most, would understand what does it mean by pain, what taste tears have and how deep, this song's lyrics mean!

yes,Aman,i completely agree with u..practical life for some is so important they actually overlook the small joys that can come out of simple things.

I am not sure that how come someone value those things so much Nandini which he/she would/can get at any point of life! What the heck is the importance of a job/money in front of a person who loves you more than his/her life? You can find a job/career/money at any point in life, but you won't probably ever get that person again! Not sure why this so simple thing people don't understand!

Thanks once again for stopping by here! Do read other posts and post your thoughts whereever feel appropriate!

Cheers
Aman....
Sandeep Garg said…
Hiii Aman, thnks for the meaning of this beautiful and lovely song. wen I heared it for the first time, I understood the meaning of this, but not completely,jst could say that yes,dese are feelings of a broken heart. As in my case My Love didn't hurt me, but is not with me also. I love this song, and whenever I listen this song, my eyes get wet, not completely but partially, but heart cries still.
Sandeep Garg said…
Hiii Aman, thnks for the meaning of this beautiful and lovely song. wen I heared it for the first time, I understood the meaning of this, but not completely,jst could say that yes,dese are feelings of a broken heart. As in my case My Love didn't hurt me, but is not with me also. I love this song, and whenever I listen this song, my eyes get wet, not completely but partially, but heart cries still.
ipray said…
this is the first Punjabi song i m listening to and cant help falling in love with it
and
Aman thnks for the translation
and can u recommemnd some songs for a broken heart???

regds
Priya
ipray said…
and ya your follow up after the song and ur reply to nandhini
seems like unfortunately lot of ppl "have been there, faced it"
I simply hope that at least God knows how a person who has been everything can suddenly become nothing......
Aman.... said…
Priya,

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by here. I am glad that I could help you in understanding the meaning of the song in a better way. About how someone can becoming "nothing" from "everything" , well I hope I would be able to find the answer sometime within this life of mine and if it does happens, I shall surely let you know as well.

About the songs for the broken heart, (un)fortunately , I have got couple of them here. The latest one which I heard is this one, have read and also listen to it,
http://sharmaaman.blogspot.com/2011/01/heartbreaking-song-akhyiaan-ch-paani.html

If you would like it, please leave your view in the comments.

Once again,thanks for being here.

Cheers
Aman....
Unknown said…
mubashir hassan
great job bro. i've been searching this song's meaning 4 a long time.
Unknown said…
Aman,
According to me, although you get one life to achieve goals but the truth is, the emptiness of one's inner-self can be only filled with human love. If someone has no taste for this holy sentiment then what can we do?

Popular posts from this blog

A Poetic MasterPiece By Faraz.....

Feelings Revealed Truly & Musically....

Hello From Singapore….